Okinawa Autotech has clarified that the cause of the fire was “short circuit. This is the second time when an Okinawa dealership catches fire. Two months ago, an Okinawa showroom went up in flames in Tamil Nadu. Owing to which, the company recalled the electric scooters to fix the battery issue.
Fire personnel rushed to spot after a fire broke out in an e-bike showroom belonging to electronic two-wheeler manu… https://t.co/Ocix76pEQN
— Divya Cutinho_TNIE (@cutinha_divya) 1656047516000
Following the incident, the company released a statement that says, “We are aware of an unfortunate fire incident at one of our showrooms in Mangalore this morning. As stated by the dealer, the fire was caused due to an electric short circuit. We are in touch with the dealership and we are extending all the necessary support. Safety is at the core of Okinawa Autotech and we want to assure that the highest standards of safety are maintained in our dealerships across the country.”
Several EV fire incidents have been reported in the past few months. Electric scooters from the brands, namely Pure EV, Jitendra EV, Ola Electric, Boom Motors and Okinawa went up in flames.
Two days back, even the Tata Nexon EV caught fire in Mumbai and the carmaker responded to the incident quickly. Witnessing the scenario, the Government of India also launched a probe to detect the problem. According to DRDO (Defence Research and Development Organisation), there is an issue with EV modules and battery design. The government officials have also summoned the EV manufacturers after the Defence Research & Development Organisation filed the report.